English Rights Campaign

to defend the rights and interests of the English nation

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

THE RACE CARD

One of the traits of modern society is that certain people are very quick to play the race card, and that the playing of such a card is supposed to send the rest of us into profuse apologies.

Recently that card was played by Darcus Howe on Radio 4's Midweek, hosted by Libby Purves. Darcus Howe has seven children by four different women and was on the programme to talk about his forthcoming Channel 4 documentary, Son of Mine. The film explores Howe's relationship with his 20-year-old son, Amiri, who has been in trouble with the police on several occasions. Howe met Amiri's mother during a holiday in Trinidad. He saw him only three or four times a year until the boy moved to London aged eight.

This time Darcus Howe made the mistake of playing the race card against Joan Rivers. The following was the response:

‘Darcus Howe: ...since “black” offends Joan.

Joan Rivers: Wait! Wait! Just stop right now. Black does not offend me. How dare you? How dare you say that? Black offends me? You know nothing about me, you just sat down here, how dare you?

DH: The use of the term “black” offends you.

JR: The use of the term black offends me? Where the hell are you coming from? You've got such a chip on your shoulder. I don't give a damn if you're black or white, I couldn't care less, it's what the person is. Don't you dare call me a racist.

Libby Purves: I don’t think it was personal, Joan.

JR: Oh, I think it was. When someone says “the term ‘black’ offends Joan”. I will not sit here...How dare you say that to me?

DH: I think this is a language problem.

JR: No I don’t. This is a problem in your stupid head. You had a child, you left him. Your wife said you weren’t there. You married a woman. You deserted her. Now your son looks like he has problems. Where were you when he was growing up till he was eight years old?

DH: Can I continue the interview?

JR: Yes you can. But don’t you dare call me a racist. Don’t you dare call me a racist. I’m sorry but...but...

LP: I have great sympathy for both sides.

JR Both sides? Then you are a racist. Aren’t you amazed...well...well, please continue. But don’t you dare call me that, you son of a bitch.

LP: Darcus, can you just...

JR: Yes, do continue about what a wonderful father who helped his three children...

LP: Darcus, can you just say that you don’t think Joan is a racist and then perhaps we can move on.

JR: You’re damn right.

DH: I don’t know whether she’s a racist or not.

JR: You said the word black offends me. It’s the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard.

DH: I don’t know you.

JR: And nor would I choose to meet you.

LP: Hey listen...

JR: Yes, please talk about his stupid film.

DH: I didn’t think you brought me here to be insulted.

JR: I didn’t know I was being brought here to be insulted by someone who was going to call me a racist.

LP: I think it’s time to move on now... Andrea, what about plant photography?’


Well done Joan Rivers.