English Rights Campaign

to defend the rights and interests of the English nation

Thursday, September 29, 2005

THE LOONY LEFT

Those visiting the maternity wing of Calderdale Royal Hospital, near Halifax, have been told that they should not look into the maternity cots or ask mothers about their labour.

Apparently, this is to protect the babies’ right to privacy.

The hospital held an ‘advice day’ last week in order to promote the new rule. Cards were handed out to visitors headlined ‘Respect my baby’ and which had a message as if from a baby:

‘I am small and precious so treat me with privacy and respect. My parents ask you to treat my personal space with consideration. I deserve to be left undisturbed and protected against unwanted public view.’


Debbie Lawson, a ward sister, said:

‘We know people have good intentions and most cannot resist cooing over new babies but we need to respect the child.

Cooing should be a thing of the past because these are little people with the same rights as you or me.

We often get visitors wandering over to peer into cots but people sometimes touch or talk about the baby like they would if they were examining tins in a supermarket and that should not happen.

Hopefully our message comes across loud and clear. The Government has set a benchmark that every patient has a right to privacy and dignity and we say that includes tiny babies as well.’


Lynsey Pearson, who gave birth to her daughter Hannah 4 weeks ago disagreed:

‘This ludicrous idea is taking patient confidentiality to the extreme. If people did not ask me questions about my baby I would be offended.

I am so proud of Hannah and I want to show her off and I would imagine all new mums feel that way.

When I was in hospital even the cleaners asked me questions and touched her and cuddled her. Babies love attention and I think it is cruel to ask visitors and parents basically to ignore them.’


Enough said.